6 Simple & Proven Bio-Hacks For Better Health & Performance
We all want to live longer, stronger & healthier than ever before. But have you ever wondered what it takes to be able to live like that? It's not all fun & games, to be superhuman, you have to commit to living like a superhuman. And we’ve got those tips & tricks to get you from average to extraordinary.
Biohacking, or simply put, hacking your biology is defined as an attempt to optimize performance by manipulating your body and mind. A broad concept that can involve technology, ancient techniques, biohacking is all about getting the best out of your life so that you can live longer & healthier.
So here are some simple, straightforward biohacking tips that have proven to be effective:
We’ve all heard about intermittent fasting and its useful benefits. And trust us when we say that it works! Allowing your body the downtime to heal itself and commit to other essential functions is paramount, and it can only get that time when it's not constantly working on digesting food. Most effective intermittent fasting timeline is considered to be the 16:8 ratio, where you eat for 8 hours in a day, and fast for the remaining 16. Here is what happens to your body when you fast:
- Blood levels of insulin drop significantly which facilitates fat burning
- Levels of Human Growth Hormone (HGH) may increase dramatically, which leads to fat loss, muscle gain and has numerous other benefits
- The body starts repair on a cellular level, such as removing waste and toxins from cells
- Can reduce insulin resistance, lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduction of oxidative stress and inflammation in the body
- Improves various metabolic functions that have multiple benefits for brain health
- May extend your life span and help you live longer
The Right Nutrition
This is a no brainer. Eating processed foods, red meats and sugars will cause inflammation in your body, which leads to chronic diseases. If your body is constantly working towards fighting inflammation, it doesn’t have the chance to be the best version of itself. So do yourself a favour, and quit the junk. Once a week cheat meal? Yes! More than that, and you’re back to square one. Here are some tips for getting the right nutrition:
- Greens and more greens - the veggies & fruits will save the planet. A strong plant based diet is shown to reduce inflammation and alkalize your body. Nutrient rich foods that will help your cells flourish. Go for colour and variety.
- Good carbs are better than no carbs - go for whole grains that are rich in fibre
- Get enough lean protein everyday - fish, poultry and nuts and beans are your best source of protein. A normal human being requires 1.8x their body weight (KG) in protein every day for normal functioning. If you’re getting anything less, your bodily functions are impaired.
- Stay away from Dairy - we get it, it's not what you were told when you were growing up. But that’s in the past, and it has been established that milk isn’t your best friend. So except for that cheese once a while, stay away from dairy products, humans aren’t meant to consume it.
- Eat a fibre rich diet rich in whole grains, vegetables and fruits
- Drink water, loads of it, everyday - we are basically house plants that need water all the time right? But seriously, 7/10 adults are considered dehydrated, which is one of the foremost causes of premature aging. So unless you want to look 60 when you’re actually 40, drink water, loads of it!
- Stay away from empty calories - sugars, processed foods are all empty calories that provide zero benefits to your body. In fact, they actually hurt you in the long run. Chuck it in the bin, and grab a fruit instead.
We all love a hot shower, it's calming and relaxing. But to really update your life, go for the cold showers every day. Cold showers are beneficial for both your body and mind. Slowly build up the intensity as your body gets accustomed to the resistance and you’ll be surprised to see some interesting results:
- Reduces stress levels
- Increased metabolic rate leading to weight loss
- Increased production of white blood cells which leads to a stronger immunity
- Increased alertness and concentration
Breathing exercises have been around for centuries. Seems like our ancestors knew of its immense benefits, much more than we do, because apart from being part of the Yoga culture they are hardly practiced. But, there is no doubt that they are essential more now than ever before, given the levels of stress we face on a daily basis. We recommend trying out the Wim Hoff Breathing Exercises - available on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybOi4hjZFQ). Here are some incredible benefits you will see:
- Reduced stress & anxiety
- Lowers your heart rate
- Lowers your blood pressure
- Improved sleep
- Enhanced cognitive functions
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Faster recovery
Move, move and then move again. We all know that regular physical activity is good for us, but did you know how good it is? Your body is the greatest tool at your disposal. Use it, achieve the best version of yourself. We weren’t designed to sit for hours, we were designed by nature to run, walk, hike, lift, swim and climb! So exercise, at least 4 or 5 times a week, and you’ll love what you become - the best you.
- Exercise controls and reduces excess weight
- Combats health conditions and diseases
- Improves mood and boosts energy
- Promotes better sleep
- Improves your sex life
- Reduces feelings of anxiety and depression
- Reduces inflammation
Your gut could potentially be the most important organ in your body - why do we say that? Because it is the engine that runs you. All foods are ultimately broken down in your gut, into a simple form that can enter your bloodstream for the nutrients to be absorbed. A healthy gut contains healthy bacteria and immune cells that ward off infectious agents such as viruses, bacteria and fungi. It also communicates with your brain via nerves and hormones which help maintain general health and wellbeing. Here are some other benefits of a healthy gut:
- Strong Immune System
- Improved Heart & Brain Health
- Improved Mood & Reduced Stress
- Improved Sleep
- Better cleaner & healthier skin
- More energy & focus
And there you have it! 6 simple tips for biohacking towards improved performance and wellbeing. Don’t forget to add in daily support for your Immune System, with our world class immunity booster - YourHappy Immunity.